Beef Burger with "the Lot"
A burger with the “The Lot” is iconic Kiwi and Aussie fare. To eat this burger you need really big hands and the ability to dislocate your jaw. Give it a whirl this Australia Day.
Ingredients - “Beef Patties”
500g beef mince
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 beef stock cube, crumbled
2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
20 ml red wine
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
2 teaspoons Worcester sauce
tin of pineapple rings, drained
tin sliced beetroot, drained6 rashers bacon
6 fried eggs
6 slices cheese
2-3 tomatoes, sliced
6 hamburger buns, split, toasted
tomato sauce/ barbeque sauce/chutney/mustard
serve with home-made wedges, sour cream, sweet-chilli sauce
1. In a non-stick frying pan with a lug or two of olive oil sauté onion, garlic and grated carrot until soft and transparent. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add all the other beef patty ingredients and mix together well. If the mixture is too wet add more breadcrumbs. Cover with gladwrap and leave to chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight if time permits. This allows the flavours to mingle and the mixture easy to form into patties.
2. Shape into hamburger patties.
3. On large serving platters place lettuce leaves, cheese slices, beetroot slices and hamburger buns (split and toasted if desired).
4. Cook patties on the BBQ. When the patties are almost cooked, grill bacon rashers, pineapple rings and fry eggs.
5. Then construct your hamburger according to you personal tastes.