Gooey Caramel Anzac Slice
Try this easy recipe that takes the classic Anzac biscuit and turns it into a caramel slice.
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup brown sugar
140g butter, melted
395g can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp Golden Syrup
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup Brown Sugar
30g butter, melted
1. Pre-heat oven to 175°C. Line the base of a 19cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper.
2. To make the base combine the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl, add the melted butter and stir well until combined then press mixture evenly into the prepared tin to form a base. Bake for 10-12 mins until pale golden and just set.
3. To make the caramel, melt together the sweetened condensed milk, golden syrup and butter in the microwave or over a double boiler, stirring until golden and thickened. Set aside to cool for 5 mins while making the topping.
4. To make the topping, combine coconut, oats, brown sugar and melted butter and stir well.
5. Pour the caramel over the par-baked slice and carefully spread over topping mixture pressing into the caramel lightly. Bake the slice for a further 10-15 mins until golden and bubbling.
6. Set aside to cool before cutting into slices.